The keepsake sized antler urn pair pictured is for sale as a pair only and would be a remembrance appropriate for any outdoorsman or outdoorswoman, hunter or huntress, or any person who appreciates the beauty found in the forms from flora and fauna. I like to imagine that the grandparents of the deer this rack belonged to walked next to the birch tree used for the vessels.
Memento provides antler urns as a service. By making a 50% fabrication deposit on this product and sending horns, tusks or antlers to us, Memento provides the following:
- source an appropriate "green" (freshly cut and not dried) log of sufficient dimensions to match the horn/s provided (domestic North American species requests are taken into consideration but keep in mind that maple, poplar, sycamore, and oak will not have much impact on the lead time while cherry, walnut or others will)
- rough turn that log (set of logs in the case of paired horns) into the general shape and dimensions to suit the horns provided
- insert those roughs into our vacuüm kiln contraption that dries the vessels to a suitable and stable moisture content (involves a vacuüm pump, dry ice, an acrylic chamber )
- air acclimate the dried, rough vessels for at least a week
- remount on lathe and final turn, sand until smooth, apply a non-toxic linseed based oil finish, friction polish with beeswax
- repeat above steps if at any point in the process surprise material failures occur (20% chance - just part of the process)
- fabricate wooden lids with a cork lined flange - coat with black milk paint and beeswax
- drill out top of urn and mount threaded insert
- hand grind a concavity in the mounting surface of the horn, then widen a drilled a hole to accommodate an epoxied fastener to join the horn to the vessel
- email you and/or post a photo of your finished product
- carefully pack and ship it to you once the balance paid in full
Dimensions of featured urns
Individually, the urns pictured are each 19" high. The vessels are a bit over 5" in diameter but the antlers in this case push out to about 8" around. If you supply your own antlers or horns, we will create an appropriately sized receptacle to balance the proportions. So dimensions will vary on custom fabricated pieces.